Spring is my favorite season. It is a welcoming of new growth; a gentle breeze shedding the harshness of winter and heralding the arrival of sunshine and beauty. What better way to celebrate this season than to invite spring flowers into your home?
There are many ways to achieve this:
- Select A Beautiful Painting: My favorite art gallery is Merritt Gallery in Chevy Chase, Maryland. We have had a long association together and I have successfully accessorized my client’s homes with their artwork. I adore this pastel on canvas, titled “Tulip VI” by artist Alice Pritchard. It makes a wonderful statement with its fresh yellows, greens and orange. The large scale is fantastic!
- Select A Beautiful Designer Fabric: New drapery treatment or new upholstery is a perfect venue to show off Spring flowers. Work with different textures and different ground fabrics. One of my favorite new fabrics is “Oriental Poppy” from Colefax and Fowler. This elegant embroidery is available on silk or linen. I also love “Manoir” from Manuel Canovas, a new printed cotton. I feel a breath of Spring when I look at the clean colors of this design. These fabrics are available through interior designers from Cowtan And Tout in the Washington Design Center.
- Select A Beautiful Vase: Accessories are so important in achieving a finished look for a room. Finding and placing the perfect accessory is often more difficult than working with furniture or window treatments. The devil is in the details. Spring flowers may be incorporated through designs in porcelain or ceramic. Also from embroidered, woven or printed motifs on throw pillows and, of course beautiful blossoms from your cutting garden shown off in a fabulous vase.
- Select New Furniture: Seasonal change is always positive and refreshing. The simple addition of a new chair or table in a room can make quite a difference. Then embellish it with Spring flowers on upholstery fabric or a tablecloth and napkin set.
- Select New Window Treatments: When I think of window treatments, I think of them as “the eyes to your world”. They are the embodiment of your persona and a very important part of your decor. Whether your taste is traditional or contemporary, Spring flowers will find a perfect showcase as part of your window treatments. They may appear in realistic or abstract form as long as they provide you with a feeling of happiness and new beginnings.
So… Please Take My Advice: “Spring” for Spring Flowers!!!!
By Janice Lachman