We would all like to be thinner, but, why not be happy with who you are in the present and honor the body you have right now? I bet you can think of overweight women who look stunning, who show up with self-confidence every day and achieve great things because of it.
As an image consultant, my goal is to help your outside match your inside. It starts with defining a style that reflects your personality, lifestyle, values and tastes. You can learn to dress elegantly, polished, professional, happy, creatively, and thinner with these ten easy techniques:
- Monochromatic Dressing – There is no better way to look leaner and taller than wearing a solid color from head to toe. It is sophisticated, trendy and it can be very interesting if you vary the textures worn.
- Column Dressing – Similar to monochromatic dressing, column dressing is very elongating. The only difference is the addition of a jacket that compliments the solid color of the underlying pieces.
- Increase Your Height – Taller equals thinner. Wearing heels, 3/4 length sleeves and/or skirts above your knees will make your legs look longer.
- Matching Shoes – To elongate your legs and look leaner, match your shoes to your legs (nude hose, bare-legged) or to your pants.
- Shapes – Learn to dress your shape. To look thinner, emphasize your “smaller” parts by wearing empire waisted dresses or shirts or cinched in waists with belts, or peplum tops.
- Proper Sizing – Forget about what size you are, and don’t expect clothes to fit you off the rack. Find clothes that fit your widest parts and have the rest altered so they fit you perfectly.
- Solid Complimentary Hues – Solid colors are better than patterns if you want to look thinner, especially if you are petite.
- Flat Panel Pants with Flare – Look for flat panel pants, i.e. no pockets, gathering or pleats. With a flare pant, the hips align with the flare, helping you to look proportionate and smaller than you would with tapered pants.
- Foundation Garments – Get a proper bra fitting. It is magic when you get “the girls” in the right position. The same goes for shape wear that now comes in a large variety of shapes, colors and sizes.
- Accessorize Upward – Bring attention to your face. Raise the eye upward. Wear scarves, necklaces, earrings. V-shaped necklines are very slenderizing. Update your makeup so you have a current style that showcases your features without over doing it. Short current hairstyles are more slenderizing than longer hairstyles.
Learning to dress in a way that leaves you feeling confident is empowering. Honor the body you have, dress your personal best, dress thinner, and feel as powerful on the outside as you are on the inside.
By – Cyndy Porter